I had an appointment this morning with the high risk Ob. Ronny and I arrived early, bright eyed and bushy tailed, fully prepared to spend several hours there. The appointment actually went really well (although according to my husband I was rude to the doctor twice: more on that in a sec).
The first thing we did was talk about my breathing troubles. My peak flow should be in the 300-400 range, and at my very best I am able to blow 260-280. At my worst my numbers are in the mid 100’s. I use the rescue inhaler at least twice a day and they are a bit concerned. I am to increase my preventative inhaler to four puffs twice a day instead of 2 puffs twice a day and see them again next week for a checkup.
We then talked about Lukes position a little bit and I mentioned that he keeps going back and forth between transverse, breech and head down. We got a quick little scan and he was head down, with a heart rate of 134 bpm. Each time we go to the doctor his heart is a little slower and I start to panic. I know that he can’t be born with his heart beating that fast, but it’s still a bit scary. We will do a repeat scan at 35 weeks. If he’s transverse or breech at that scan we will discuss version and c-section options. I informed the doctor that I feel more comfortable with letting Luke be where he is comfortable and alive and opt for the c-section rather than put him or I at risk to turn him. I then got this whole shpill about how versions are actually less risky than sections are, but I stuck to my ground. I would rather put myself at risk in a section than put both of us at risk in a version. Either way though, hes head down right now and if he’s that way in 2 weeks then we don’t have to worry about it until it comes to the actual delivery.
They haven’t received the results of the GSB that I had done in labor and delivery on Tuesday last week. The doctor said regardless of the result, they will repeat the test at 35 weeks for delivery and if I go into labor before that they will treat as if the test were positive.
I did get a bit snappy when the doctor said I need to be drinking between 6 and 8 bottles of water a day. I can pretty much gurantee that doesn’t happen now, and probably never will. I am not a person who is ever thirsty and have never in my life liked the taste of water. In fact my mom had to add sugar to my bottles when I was a baby to get me to drink some water. I didn’t mean to be rude but I am working so hard on drinking more and my efforts are never recognized. Pre pregnancy I would have considered myself doing well if I finished a glass of tea. Now I’m getting at least a bottle of water and a few cans of sprite in me a day.
I also got snappy when the doctor talked about birth control options. Ronny and I have discussed the future and the nuts and bolts of the issue are we are going to do the pull out method for the first 6 months or until I have my foot surgery and then not try not prevent for a few months (like 3) before actively starting again. The doctor didn’t like that plan and was going off on all the risks of getting pregnant sooner than 2 years and whatnot. My thinking is that if it happens it happens. It took 2 years to get this far and I’m not postponing the attempt at future babies in case it takes that long again. If it happens sooner, it happens sooner. I didn’t need a lecture on why my choice was a bad one, it’s my choice. Actually that’s my husbands choice. I would start trying right away if my husband let me.
Next week we go back to check my breathing. The week after that is an ultrasound to check position, blood draw, GSB, and possible c-cession schedule. After that its weekly checks until delivery.
If you liked this post please click the like button. Don’t forget to subscribe for up to date updates. If you would like to connect on social media I am on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and Youtube.