Everyone has that Great Aunt Trudy, who says she can tell the gender of every baby she comes across by looking at the soles of the mothers feet. Whether team pink, blue or yellow, we all have those thoughts of what gender our child is. Countless studies have been conducted trying to either validate or discredit some of the most popular old wives tales. I sat down and compiled a list of some of the most popular old wives tales and am putting them to the test!
1. Where are you carrying? If you are carrying low you are said to be having a boy and if you are carrying high you are said to be having a girl. I had to compare my bump to pictures of bumps on Google in order to get this answer. Overall I would say that my bump is low and thus a point is awarded to team BOY
2. Where is the bump? If you are carrying the extra weight horizontally you are said to be having a girl, if you are growing outwards you are said to be having a boy. My bump is growing straight out (although I have started to notice more padding around my waist). Another point for team BOY
3. Skin blemishes: If you have noticed an increase in pimples and/or acne you are said to be having a girl, if you are blemish free you are said to be having a boy. I have not had any pimples at all, so another point for team BOY
4. How are your hands and feet? If your hands and feet are dry and cold you are said to be having a boy, if your hands and feet are damp and warm you are said to be having a girl. My feet have been freezing this entire time I’ve been pregnant and my skin is very dry. I think the dry skin has to do with more dehydration than pregnancy related things but who knows. Point for team BOY
5. What way does the ring swing? After tying a ring to a string, you hold it up above your belly. If the ring swings back and forth you are said to be having a boy, if the ring swings in a circle you are said to be having a girl. I tried this several times and each time the ring swung back and forth. Another point for team BOY
6. Does the baking soda fizz? In this test you mix your urine with a small amount of baking soda. If the baking soda fizzes like beer your likely to have a boy, if it doesn’t a girl is on the way. The baking soda fizzed out of the cup and down the drain. I would say that was a pretty definite point for team BOY
7. How fast is baby’s heart beating? If its greater than 140 beats per minute baby might be a girl. If the heart rate is less than 140 beats per minute you are said to be having a boy. The baby;s heart rate is currently sitting between 165 and 175. We have our first point for team GIRL
8. What do you crave? If its something sweet you are said to be having a girl, if its something sour you are said to be having a boy. To be honest, I am not craving much of anything, but overall the foods that sound good to eat are typically not sweet. We are going to give this one to team BOY
9. Chinese calendar: The Chinese believe that the gender of your child is dependent upon the month you conceived and your age of conception. Based upon a conception month of November and being 30 at the time of conception I am said to be having a BOY.
10. Mayan Calendar: The Mayan’s took the mothers age at conception and year of conception to determine the gender of the baby. If both numbers are either even or odd you are said to be having a girl. If one number is even and one number is odd you are said to be having a boy. I was 30 years old when we conceived and the year was 2014. Since both are even, its another point for team GIRL
11. Did your spouse gain weight? If so you are having a girl, if your spouse stays the same weight or loses weight you are having a boy. My husband has definitely lost a bit of weight. I think it’s because I have not made dinner in 3 months and he has had to feed us both. Point for team BOY
12. Did you have morning sickness? No, its a boy and yes it’s a girl. Asking if I have had morning sickness is like asking if I breathe air. I have been so incredibly sick throughout this pregnancy that I can’t hide it. This is a point for team GIRL
13. The Key Test: After placing a key in front of a pregnant person, watch to see what end they pick the key up with. If she picks up the key by the round end she is having a boy, if she picks up the key by the narrow end she is having a girl. We didn’t want my decision to be swayed so I took this test before reading what the difference was. I picked up the key by the round end. Point for team BOY
14. Did your chest change? If there was a dramatic change in the size and fullness of your breasts you are said to be having a girl. If there was no change you are said to be having a boy. I have gained about 2 cup sizes so far and my breasts are still growing. We are giving this one to team GIRL
15. Along with the size of your chest, how are your breasts? If your right breast is larger than your left, or if the right and left breast are the same size, you are said to be having a boy. If your left breast is larger you are said to be having a girl.. At the time of posting my breasts are the same size. Pre-pregnancy my left breast was considerably larger than my right. We are giving this point to team BOY
16. How is your hair growing? If it is growing faster you are having a boy, if it is growing at the same rate you are having a girl. All of my hair is growing faster so this is another point for team BOY
17. Where is your pillow? If its south your having a girl, if it is north you are having a boy. To be honest, our pillows are actually on the East but since I am sleeping on my left I would say I pull the pillow more south than north. Point team GIRL
18. Can you add? This test works by adding your age at time of conception to the month of conception. If the number is even its a boy, if its odd baby is a girl. I was 30 years old 22. we conceived and we conceived in the 11th month. 30+11=41. It is odd so we are adding a point to team GIRL
19. What color is your pee? If it is bright yellow you are having a boy, if its dull you are having a girl. My pee is pretty dark so we are giving this point to team BOY
20. Are you moody? If so, baby is a girl….if not, baby is a boy. My moods shift more than the weather. Definite point for team GIRL
21. What side do you sleep on? If you sleep on your left you are having a boy, if you sleep on your right you are having a girl. I definitely sleep on my left side so another point goes to team BOY
22. How is your balance? If you are more clumsy than normal you are said to be having a boy, if you are graceful you are said to be having a girl. I was far from graceful pre-pregnancy and it has gotten worse since becoming pregnancy. Point team BOY
23. What does the vein in your left eye look like? If the vein makes a V you are said to be having a girl, if it doesn’t you are said to be having a boy. The vein did not have a V appearance to it in my eye, making it team BOY
TOTAL COUNT: 16 POINTS TEAM BOY 7 POINTS TEAM GIRL
BONUS: Gut feeling: both Ronny and I think this little person is going to be a boy. I would love to have a boy first and Ronny wants a girl first. We are so excited either way and can’t wait for the day we find out.
This was taken in fun. We do not know if our baby is a girl or a boy and wont find out for another 4-8 weeks.